Tuesday, July 22, 2014

My First Trimester in Memes

As of this coming Friday, I will be fifteen weeks pregnant.

The following images are a review of my pregnancy thus far:

Weeks 4-7



Week 5
I was SO hungry it was scary.



Weeks 7-Current


 Weeks 8-10


Weeks 8-Current



Weeks 10-Current
Yeah, except I only had 1/2 a PBJ sandwich and I'm STILL HUNGRY but if I eat anything else I will THROW UP.


I seem to be slowly getting over the whole morning sickness part of this. Sort of.  It used to be that I felt sick all day.  Eventually I got to where I was okay until lunch or early afternoon.  Now I seem to be okay until some point in the late afternoon or early evening.  So this has to keep getting better, right?  I can't keep puking every night, right?  Don't answer that.

At seven weeks, I had my first ultrasound.  The baby was essentially a little line with a flashing heartbeat on a black and white cone-shaped screen.  I have a couple of pictures from the ultrasound but, given that it looks nothing like a baby, I'll wait to share images until after the twenty week ultrasound in September. :)

At ten weeks, I heard in the examination room via a fetal doppler the "WHOOSH WHOOSH WHOOSH" of my baby's heartbeat. What a feeling! <3

A big worry I had this pregnancy was flying out to California to take care of my grandpa for two weeks (weeks 10-12 of my pregnancy) while my aunt and uncle, his primary caretakers, took some much-needed vacation. I was terrified I would be too sick to properly take care of him, even with the Zofran my doctor gave me, which, by the way, DID help noticeably with the nausea, but also made me feel like this:

And nothing helped. NOTHING. Even after I stopped taking Zofran, it took two weeks for me not to nearly give myself a hernia or give early birth every time I had to go number two.


Anyway -- even with Zofran as my friend (sorta), I worried I wouldn't be able to do the job.  So the morning I left for the airport, I asked my husband for a priesthood blessing.  In the blessing I was promised that I would have less nausea and I would be able to give my grandfather the care he needed, and that is exactly what I needed to hear.  I love having the priesthood in my home!

So guess when my nausea started getting pushed back into the early afternoons instead of ALL DAY LONG?  My first day in California.  I even forgot to take my Zofran because of the whole change of routine and living out of my suitcase.

I find this meme quite fitting because I was in the car when I realized I had forgotten my Zofran, and then realized that I was doing okay without it!

Not having morning sickness in, well, the mornings, was extremely helpful.  My grandfather has diabetes, kidney disease, and poor eyesight.  Part of his health care is needing kidney dialysis three times a week and, due to his poor eyesight, cannot drive himself to these appointments.  Dialysis was three days a week at 9:00 AM, so I was able to get him there and then back by about 1:00 PM and not feel too ill until after we got home.  We actually empathized each other quite well!  Both of us were familiar with nausea, occasional throwing up, needed lots of naps, and we both did a lot of sitting around when NOT napping.

We watched a lot of American Ninja Warrior, Judge Judy, America's Got Talent, and Family Feud in his sitting room.  So a lot of the time, this was us:

I was usually accompanied by a knitting loom (to knit baby stuff), a soda (to help me burp and thereby briefly relieve indigestion), and a bowl of popcorn (to help me poop).


I really enjoyed time with my grandpa!  It was nice to be able to talk with him about his childhood and about my mom, aunts, and uncles when they were kids.  Given that I did not think I'd have the opportunity to see him again in this life, it was a blessing to go out and see him.

(I even got to have brunch with my cousin -- who lives about an hour from my aunt -- while I was out there!)

During my last few days in California, my parents came up with my two youngest siblings to see us and help out with Grandpa's care. It was really wonderful getting to see everyone and talk about pregnancy issues and joys with my mom.  We spent some time just hanging out in my aunt's pool and also took a day trip to Big Trees and to see my cousin again.  I didn't feel the best during this whole trip, but I'm so glad I was able to go out west and see members of my family.  This experience was truly a blessing!

Since I've been back, I've mostly had sickness in the late afternoon and evening, and am keeping my fingers crossed that I'll feel significantly better by the time school starts again in August.

I think that about catches us up to right now. Future blogs will be shorter and likely contain more humor similar to what you saw in this post.  Here's to growing a baby!


3 comments:

  1. Haha! The constipation and the Judge Judy ones were my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, can't wait for more diaper talk with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love love it!!!! keep it coming :)

    ReplyDelete